What may be causing stomach pain, pain in the teeth, fever and vomiting in a 5-year-old?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 20 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 5 year old granddaughter and been sick for three days now. Complaining of stomach pain and she keeps saying her teeth hurt. She had a fever of 101 the first couple days ,throwing up and upset stomach. No fever now but still having stomach pains,eats very little. I'm getting a little worried??
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take 5-7 days to resolve. Please be patient.

Detailed Answer:

Your granddaughter could be suffering from a viral infection which can be associated with gastritis. The abdominal pain should subside on giving Lanzol Junior (Lansoprazole) once daily before breakfast. Give her Emeset (Ondansetron) if she has vomiting. Even if she vomits again, you should try giving it, especially 15-30 mins before giving her anything to eat.

In the meantime you should give her ORS (oral re-hydration solution) as it is the mainstay of treatment. 100 ml of ORS would be inadequate. 10-20 ml per kg of body weight is required in the first hour and the same is to be repeated over the next 6-8 hours. Replenishing the lost fluids and salts is the main objective. The same applies if she has diarrhea too. Give her paracetamol or acetaminophen if the temperature is more than 100°F. Give her tepid sponging too.

You need not get anxious. The above treatments should take care of the issue. Make sure she is well hydrated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das,
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng