Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for severe sore throat after sinusitis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
What started out as a what I interpret to be slightly irritating post nasal drip quickly turned into congestion, swollen/painful glands, extreme pain in swallowing, tender ears, slight nausea/stomach pains, and pain extending from back of head through the neck, shoulder blades and continued through lower back. My body felt like it was on fire and went back and forth from sweating to chills. After two days of this, even though early still, I decided to go to an urgent care clinic. They tested me for strep. Negative. checked my ears and breathing but that was about all. I was advised to continue taking the Advil for sinus and congestion and drink plenty of fluids as I had a viral infection and what they called a subjective fever (they didn't take my temp). Later that day, I could feel something resting in the back of my throat. When it did appear, it looked like a thick, bloody ball of flesh that was a little larger than a quarter. At that point all of my previously mentioned symptoms did immediately reduce in severity but any have yet to disappear or show any sign of clearing up. Should I go see another doctor or is it really just a bad head cold like they said? Any advice or clarity would be greatly appreciated and I thank you so much for your time.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: See a doc again Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your question. The negativity of a rapid strep test does not completely exclude a bacterial infection. My biggest concern now is that the "ball of flesh" in the back of the throat could represent a complication of a bad sore throat called a retropharyngeal abscess, or pus collection, that may need drainage and definitely antibiotics if this is the case. You should be seen in urgent care as sson as possible. Hope that helps, Happy Holidays, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor