Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for hip pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I have hip pain. I had a complete body scan about one year ago and was told my hip joint looked healthy but it is getting more painful, usually after sitting for even a short period. Activity, such as cycling or moderate (4 mph) walking on a treadmill doesn't cause pain, but lately I notice pain sleeping unless I keep a pillow between my knees while sleeping on either side. Stairs are causing pain while walking on level doesn't. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 16 hours later
Brief Answer: There can be hip arthritis-degenerative Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history there can be hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head [AVN]. I will advise you do X ray of hip again and you can consult me with reports or with your doctor. After clinical examination IF AVN is suspected then you will need MRI. Till time take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like glucosamine sulphate. For hip arthritis joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help. Physiotherapist will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol. If required intra-articular injection can be given. Pain on climbing stairs can be associated with knee osteoarthritis; do you have knee pain while climbing upstairs? At age of 69 osteoporosis can be associated so you may need to take calcium supplement.Diet rich in calcium and protein will help. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor