Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for Actinomycosis all over my body?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
I have been told I have Actinomycosis at this time it is pretty much throughout my body including eyes,,skin.Urinary track .Antibiotics taken orally has been started what should be done?
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 13 hours later
Brief Answer: You are on the right track Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Actinomyces, the bacteria causing this disease is sensitive to penicillin antibiotic. High-dose penicillin administered over a prolonged period (6 months to 1 year) is the cornerstone of therapy for actinomycosis. The risk of actinomycetes developing penicillin resistance appears to be minimal. Lack of a clinical response to penicillin usually indicates the presence of resistant companion bacteria, which may require modification of the antibiotic regimen. How long have you been on penicillin? I think within next few days you will feel lot better. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor