What is the swollen area filled with watery blood on my foot?

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a swollen area on the fight side of my foot near the ankle. The podiatrist thought it might be a ganglion, but when he aspirated it, he got 2 1/2 large syringes full of watery blood. Since then, it has spread over the top of my foot. Do you have any idea what it might be?
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

The swelling on the right of your foot is a Ganglion as the diagnosis has been confirmed after aspirating the fluid from it. The bloody tinge of fluid might be due to some blood vessel injury while aspiration.

The Ganglion have a tendency of recurrence and if only fluid is aspirated then there is every chance of repeat collection of the fluid unless some drug or sclerosing agent or steroids are injected inside the swelling after the fluid is aspirated.

The permanent treatment of the Ganglion is surgical excision, which you can discuss with your Orthopedic surgeon after getting it examined. If it is painful then it indicates infection and antibiotics might be needed for the treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
A ganglion has been ruled out. The area seems to be only full of blood. No ganglion type fluid was aspirated.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

If ganglion has been ruled out then it might be a hematoma or a hemangioma which might be causing local bleeding.

You need to get an MRI done to know the nature of the swelling and also the bleeding and coagulation profile of blood needs to be tested to rule out any bleeding disorder. Such a swelling containing blood needs an early treatment and medical attention. Time lost in diagnosis may affect the prognosis.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN