What is the right time to take Folic acid when pregnant?

Question
I am 42 years of age with a 4 yr old child. My periods are very regular every 28 days for 5 days. On 29 XXXXXXX a 3 day (very light) period started - and then I have missed the most recent one (it was expected last Sun 27 July). Last night a home pregnancy test read positive - so my q is would I likely be 3.5 wks pregnant or 7.5 wks pregnant, given the very short and light period/spotting? at end of XXXXXXX What is the earliest time I can take a dating scan to determine approx date of conception? I have just started folic acid today, when is it critical to commence taking for the health of my baby? Thankyou
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for your query.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

1) Since you had spotting it is difficult to tell your exact date. you need a scan .

2) You can take a dating scan even by 6 weeks.

3) If you started now it all right but ideally its supposed to be taken from 1 month before conception.

Regards ,
Dr. Som MD