What is the right time to take Folic acid when pregnant?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 42 years of age with a 4 yr old child. My periods are very regular every 28 days for 5 days. On 29 XXXXXXX a 3 day (very light) period started - and then I have missed the most recent one (it was expected last Sun 27 July). Last night a home pregnancy test read positive - so my q is would I likely be 3.5 wks pregnant or 7.5 wks pregnant, given the very short and light period/spotting? at end of XXXXXXX What is the earliest time I can take a dating scan to determine approx date of conception? I have just started folic acid today, when is it critical to commence taking for the health of my baby? Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for your query.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

1) Since you had spotting it is difficult to tell your exact date. you need a scan .

2) You can take a dating scan even by 6 weeks.

3) If you started now it all right but ideally its supposed to be taken from 1 month before conception.

Regards ,
Dr. Som MD