What is the maximum age required to go for knee replacement surgery?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: My questions regarding knee replacement:

How many times you can replace the knees?
What is the maximum age to do the surgery?
What is the quality of the replaced kneed comparing to the normal knee?
How long the replaced knee last?
Do all knee replacement surgeries involve replacing the whole knee?
Can a person run or do weight lifting with a replaced knees?
Does medicaid covers knee replacement surgeries?
What other disadvantages of having an artificial knee that comes to your mind?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
The clicking and weird feeling in the knees that you are having is likely to be due to a decrease in the joint lubricants. Taking proper supplements of joint lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc will help in decreasing your problem. You can also start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
1. Knees can be replaced 5-6 times.
2. The maximum age for surgery depends on the general condition of the patient and his ability to face anesthesia. If the heart is healthy then surgery can be done after 90 also.
3. The quality of life after a replaced knee can never be like a normal knee. You will have to restrict squatting and the pain will be decreased as compared to the diseased knee. It takes few months of physiotherapy after the replacement before you are completely pain free.
4. Usually 10-12 years if the alignment is correct and the surgeon who did the surgery was an experienced one.
5. No. Partial knee replacement can also be done.
6. No. Running and heavy exercises will not be possible after surgery.
7. Yes.
8. Natural knee is always better as compared to an artificial one. It is advised only if the knee has a chronic pain and restriction of movement.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal