Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

What is the long term solution to treat acute acne?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6093 Questions
I am a 28 year old male who's getting a lot of pimples on my right cheek. The acne comes about every month and spreads across face before subsiding. I am using Benzac regularly and Doxywell when acute acne. What is the long term solution? I drink plenty of water, avoid oily foods to a large extent, and clean & moisturize face regularly.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thank for the query and photograph. I can see these are few cystic lesions on your face. The best treatment would be retinoids in the form of capsule isotretinoin. However as it is a prescription drug, you must meet a dermatologist and get It prescribed. This capsule will give you a long term benefit. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the long term solution to treat acute acne? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor but i have used the said medicine -- Tretin -- on prescription of a dermatologist and had side-effects of severe hair loss and mood swings. Is there any other alternate medication or treatment you can suggest?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi You can try tablet azithromycin 500 mg once daily for a week followed by a gap of three weeks and again a course of a week. Hope this helps you. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor