What is the life expectancy for pancreatic cancer?

Posted on Fri, 4 Sep 2015 in Cancer
Question: I have panceas cancer. How long can I expect to live. It has not spread to any other organs. I just finished going through radiation treatment for breast cancer. I can feel it hurting if I touch the area. A CAT scan says there is a lesion and three masses at the neck of the pancreas.

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on operability

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
It depends on grade,stage and type of cancer. PAncreatic cancer is generally disease with very poor prognosis unfortunately and overall 1 year survival is 50%,while 3 year survival is less than 15%. In your case there may be cancer located only in pancreas and this is good sign. It means that it may could be surgically removed and this is your only chance. In this case you can expect to reach some better outcome (2-3 years). In case of inoperability,the prognosis is very poor,but it is worth to try with chemo and radiotherapy which may prolong life for 12 months. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon