What causes oral mucositis post radiation treatment in a cancer patient?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr. xxxxxxx, I am a doctor myself bu not an oncologist. My father is a 89 year old man who was just treated for oesophageal carcinoma, squamous cell. Post radiation treatment, he has developed very thick sputum and has developed oral mucositis. He is an another country and I am trying to send some information to him. Unfortunately, there is no palliative treatment there. What do you suggest he can do to ease this oral mucositis as he is unable to consume food? thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Zytee gel can be used.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

You can apply simple anesthetic oral gels like Zytee gel (brand of such products would vary with the country he is in) and they would help in easing the oral mucositis and would help him to eat better.

If you could mention the country he is in, perhaps I could suggest an appropriate brand.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 27 minutes later
He is in XXXXXXX Would you happen to know of any appropriate gel available in India? Thank you.This is a patient that has completed full cycles of chemotherapy and radiation. He is now experiencing a mouth full of sputum and mucous in his throat and has been not eating well. Please suggest something more. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care needs to be given

Detailed Answer:
Zytee is available in XXXXXXX and can be given. Also ask him to use Clenora gel topically orally for proper oral hygiene.

In case of a post-chemotherapy condition the immunity can be expected to be depressed. He therefore requires proper care and support so that he does not catch an infection. Give him steam inhalation. It will help him to mobilize the mucus. Also ensure that he takes a wholesome food. Nothing more to suggest.