question-icon

What is the dosage of Amoxicillin in a 2 year old?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: Helo,
My son (2 yrs 9 months old , 11 kg) fell down from the chair and got inflammation in the back head. Doctor prescribed AUGMENTIN 250 mg (amoxycilin and potassium clavulanate) tablet 1 in the morning and 1 in the night and LOFECAM 8 mg (lornoxicam) tablet half in the morning and half in the night. Ointment NOCINIX gel to apply.
My doubt is can i give 1 full amoxycillin 250 mg tablet to a small child?

Thx in advance.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes,the prescribed dose is appropriate

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The dose of amoxycillin in children is 35-50 mg/kg/day in two to three divided dosage.The dose for 11 kg old child will be around 400-500 mg/kg/day.
So the prescribed dose of 250 mg of amoxycillin base twice a day is appropriate for your son.

I hope this answers your query.If you have any more doubts I shall be glad to solve it out.If you don't have any query then please close the discussion and rate it.
Wish your child speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology