What is the different between swollen Lymph nodes and reactive lymph nodes?
I have noticed some pain and different part of my body (Neck, Armpit, Thigh, Chest and Leg). I went to see a doctor and he advised to do the U/S
The radiologist gave me the below report which I appreciate your kind support to interpret it from medical viewpoint
""Normal both parotid and submandibular glands
Only reactive subcentimeter L. nodes seen at both submandibular areas, both parotid glands and deep cervical chai with short acis dioameter reaching 5 mm only.
Both thyroid lobes are normal in size and echotexture with the right lobe show 1.2x0.8 cm well difine mixed echgencity nodule with ystic changes and hallo sign positive (benign nodule) at its upper pole, another smaller low echogenic nodule seen at isthmus on right side of 6x4 mm (again benign in nature).
The right axilla show reactive subcentimeter L. nodes also
reactive subcentimeter L. nodes bilaterally, of no clinical significance.
Right lobe of thyroid multinodular goiter""
My questions are
1. what is the different between swollen Lymph nodes and reactive Lymph nodes?
2. what make Lymph nodes to be reactive?
3. will the reactive lymph nodes develop to be swollen?
4. does my reactive lymph nodes sound like a viral infection?
Thank you in advance
Normal. any nonspecific.
Thank you for query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
This is a radiological finding and is normal in finding.
Lymphadenopathy need not be only swelling of nodes but also pathology if lymph nodes.
Reactive lymph nodes can be swollen.
Any place lymph node usually up to 10 mm is considered normal and submandibular up to 15 mm is considered normal.
So you need not worry.
Reactive lymph nodes is more of pathology terminology due to various causes .radiologically they just say it to differentiate from malignancy.they mean lymph node is fighting some infection. reactive word purely is more a biopsy report.
As they have ruled out malignancy and said it is normal due to some nonspecific infection.
If you desire to get real reactive word then histopathology will give type of lymph node enlargement .as it is normal biopsy ti get this report may not be required.
Only if lymph node enlarges further it may be required.
You can get back for any clarification.
Non specific infection.too small size.
Thank you for follow up query.
As I have said the size described is too small and us not significant.
HIV and any infection can have reactive lymphadenitis.
More important in HIV is persistant lymphadenopathy beyond 3 months and more than 2 cm size.they can persist through out the disease in many if HIV
Any lymph node swelling should be of at least 2 cm to consider it as important .
Here you need not bother.
You can get back to me for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Vitiligo swollen lymph node
- What is the significance of a swollen lymph node
- What cause swollen lymph nodes
- Reactive hypoglcemia swollen lymph nodes
- Reactive swollen lymph nodes
- Swollen lymph node shoulder
- Continuous swollen lymph nodes
- Swollen lymph node in labia
- Costochondritis and swollen lymph nodes
- What qualifies as swollen lymph node
- What is the cause and treatment for seborrheic keratosis?
- What causes weak and fagile nails in a child?
- What causes small blister on index finger?
- Suggest an alternative to Tinaderzol
- What causes fish odor from penis after urination?
- Suggest treatment for dry skin on hands and legs
- What causes large red blotch on left hip after cortisone injection?
- How to get rid of foot fungus?
- What causes bruised foresking after an intercourse?
- What causes boils and itching on penis after having sex?