• question-icon

What is the diagnosis for constant pain in the feet?

Posted on Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having constant pain in my feet and calves. Both regions feel numb when I wake up in the morning and it takes me quite a while to get to normal routine. The pain is bearable but annoying and the pain-killers, apparently, have almost negligible effect. The pain exacerbates the day after I drive or walk few miles. Sometimes the pain is followed by pain in lower back as well. I am suffering from this from past 1 year now. I am 31 year old healthy male (Height 5'4, Weight 68kg) with no past medical history or any other ailment.

Can you kindly suggest what can be the problem as no doctor is yet able to diagnose it well ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

From your description it seems that you are probably suffering from lumbar disc prolapse in which the disc lying in between two vertebral bodies herniates out causing problems.

The diagnosis can be made by having an MRI scan of dorso- lumbar spine.

Meanwhile for getting relief, take some simple measures like-
1.Use a firm bed with not so soft mattress which supports your back well.
2.For better and longer relief, you can add a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside to the pain killers that you are currently taking after consulting with your orthopaedician.
3.Physiotherapy is also plays a major role in treating such conditions.
4.Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective.
5.Avoid weight lifting and bending forwards.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN