Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

What is the cure for hyperacidity ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I've had indigestion for the last week off and on and have been awoken almost every night with it. I have also experienced extreme bloating in my upper abdomen throughout the week. Tonight I am burping up lots of acid and I am feeling a little nauseated and have the hiccups. I have had very little sleep over the last week, but am hesitant about going to the doctor since I have no insurance. I need some guidance as to how serious this is and whether I should go to the ER or just find a doctor first.
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

You seem to be suffering from hyperacidity, which is making you nauseous and may also be causing the hiccups. You can try the following to relieve your symptoms:

1. You can take over-the-counter anatacids such as Gelusil. You can also take omeprazole tablets before meals for a few days.
2. You need to modify your diet. Bland,non spicy,non oily food and small meals is recommended.Drink lots of water. Try not to have food 3 to 4 hours before going to bed.
3. If your bowels are not clear,use a laxative.

If there is no relief in a few days,then you will have to see a doctor for prescription drugs and some tests.If the bloating doesn't reduce,then an ultrasound may also needed. Acidity can be a symptom of many types of GI disorders. Only an examination and some tests can pinpoint which type of disorder.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor