Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is the complete cure for schizophrenia?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
my brother is suffering from schizophrenia & he is taking the treatment for the last almost 10 years, he is medication & has habit of smoking cigarette... He is presently in normal condition but doesn't do any work.. whole day he sleeps, very less time he spends time with family others or watching TV.. sometimes he smiles alone.. He is married Pl suggest me how go about..
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Schizophrenia
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. Schizophrenia is a mental health disorder that can have many symptoms in a patient. It is a chronic condition and patients often come in and out of the symptoms. I am working in a well known psychiatry institute and see many patients like your brother each day. Your brother needs a lot of love and care at the moment. You have not mentioned his age but if he is young, chances are that he may lead a near normal life if followed up regularly with the psychiatrist. It is difficult to expect that a patient suffering from schizophrenia will be involving himself in active household or professional work. Even his social activities become limited and it is true that he may not like to spend time with family and friends. As a well wisher, you should keep a close observation on his behavior and medications that he is taking. Please be alert of situations where he may become violent and cause harm to self and others. Do not provoke him in any way to react violently. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the complete cure for schizophrenia? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX for the good suggestions, his age is 33 & he is under medication taking treatment from an psychiatric... He also has habit of smoking cigarettes at least 9 to 10.. as I stay in Bangalore would you refer any doctor who is expert in addressing such issues & also I heard about some work culture therapy which would help such people to start some work.. would you give more details of that..
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Please consult family psychiatry centre in NIMHANS Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back with an update. I suggest you consult the family psychiatry centre at NIMHANS, Bangalore and discuss the options and rehabilitation available for your brother. NIMHANS has a Family Psychiatry Centre and Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is in charge of the unit. Dr XXXXXXX consults patients in the Psychiatry out patient department on Tuesdays (as per information on NIMHANS website) and you may make arrangements to consult him or any of his associated on Tuesday. Contact details of the family psychiatry centre is as follows: Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Consultant-In-charge Family Psychiatry Centre NIMHANS Hosur Raod Bangalore - 560029, India Phone: +91-(0)80-0000/ 0000 Email: YYYY@YYYY Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor