What is the cause of pain in the heart?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my 19 yr old daughter says her heart hurts and has said it for a few months
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

There could be few possibilities for your daughter's symptoms:
1) Stomach ulcers - which can often cause pain and discomfort in the chest region.

2) An anxiety-related problem. Anxiety can present with not only psychological symptoms but also physical symptoms like palpitation, chest discomfort, etc.

3) Side effect of the medication: Since she is on multiple medication this could be a cause for stomach ulcers; also sometimes, aderrall, being a stimulant medication can cause such symptoms.

The possibility of a cardiac problem is low, considering her young age and absence of any medical risk factors. However it would be worthwhile to have an ECG done to rule out this possibility.

I would suggest that she needs a thorough physical examination to ascertain the exact cause and plan remedial measures.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar