What is the cause of dizziness, fatigue, and problem in the inner ear?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My boyfriend is a 54 year old male, healthy and in good shape. For over 6 weeks he has been experiencing dizziness and fatigue. He went to a family doc, who said it was probably the flu (tested negative) or another virus affecting his inner ear. He prescribed some motion sickness drug. This medicine seemed to CHANGE the dizziness...instead of waves of bad dizziness, where he felt the room was moving, he was just slightly dizzy all day. He stopped taking it. He tried the Epley Maneuver in case it was crystals in his ear. It too, seemed to help for a day or two, but the symptoms never went totally away and have even gotten worse. He can drive, and he's not dizzy. He has done hard physical labor, and felt bad but didn't pass out - hours of digging to repair a broken pipe. this is a man who can ride a bike 25 miles. He's very active. He eats relatively healthy. He doesn't do any drugs or take any prescription meds. Drinks socially. Non smoker. Blood pressure has been pretty consistently 130/80. His pulse rate is sometimes a little high (in the 90s) at night...don't know if that is relevant. No fever. He feels very unmotivated. Years ago he had a back injury and had strong pain meds - he says he feels like he has taken that medicine - like he is in a fog, can't focus. Reluctant to go to the doctor because 1) he went and they didn't help him and 2) he had cat-scratch disease 4 or 5 months ago and went to the doc and even the ER and they failed to diagnose it, until he himself suggested it from googling and pointing out the swollen lymph nodes in his arm. He is from Germany and his insurance is not accepted here. Does not want to shell out tons of money to be told to take vitamin c and zinc, which is what the first doc told him.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

He should do some lab exam and MRI of head.

Detailed Answer:

I have read carefully the history of your boyfriend and I think that he should do some lab examinations like:

1. Full blood count ( to exclude anemia) , glicemia, electrolites
2. MRI of head
3. Ear examination from ENT specialist.

I hope my answer helps you.

Dr. Monika Dede,
Infectious Diseases Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T