Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

What is the cause for tickle sound with slight pain in knees and joints?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Whenever I walk or climb up in the staircase, I get a tickle sound. I am not sure from when this started but it is there at least past 2 to 3 years. Around 5 months back I started going to Gym for Treadmill (20 mts, 4 days a week). Even though the sound continued, I did not feel any difference. But there is always a kind of uncomfortness may be cause of the slight pain in my knees and joints (ankles). Could you please advise what could be wrong? Can I continue the Treadmill? Is there some medication that I need to take on? Regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is just to let you know that sounds/noises occuring around a joint are of 2 types. INTRAARTICULAR (occuring from within the joint) sounds are usually termed as CLICKS which arise either from articular surface (joint surface) or from the meniscus in case of the knee joint. EXTRAARTICULAR (occuring outside the joint) sounds are termed as THUD'S which arise either from the tendons or ligaments surrounding the joint due to friction during the movements of a particular joint. A detailed direct physical examination is needed to know whether it an intrarticular or extraarticular sound. As the sounds are persisting for the past 2-3 years without any problem in your joints (in the form of either severe pain or swelling limiting your activities), most propably they might be extraarticular sounds, which are not a matter of concern. No medications are necessary, if they are extraarticular in origin. Before continuing the treadmill, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon to diagnose the exact problem and act according to the advice given. Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor