What is the cause and treatment of allergic bronchitis?
I have been severely coughing since 4 months now. I have been diagnosed with Extended Allergic Bronchitis since last month. From then I have taken an inhaler (Esiflo-125) along with Ivpred 4 twice a day. Now I have been recommended Ivpred 4 half tablet every alternate days. But I could realize my cough to be getting worse again slowly.
I have done a Thorax CT Scan as well, the reports are normal. A copy of the same is herewith attached.
I have the following concerns -
1. Typically how long does it take for allergic bronchitis to recover completely?
2. What measures could I take to improve my condition?
3. What could be the side-effects of Ivpred 4 and Esiflo 125 (steroids) in the long run?
Explained in detail
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Allergic Bronchitis is usually due to hyper-reactivity of the airway to allergen. In majority of cases it is allergy to dust, mites and pollen grains.
Once the offending agents are avoided, the hyper reactivity will slowly subside in next 4 weeks and there will be improvement in symptoms.
I would suggest you the following which will definitely help in improvement of your symptoms
1. Steam inhalation: It will be a good habit to cultivate. Steam inhalation for 10-15 minutes each session twice a day. You can buy a good quality electronic steamer. It will relieve the hyper reactivity of airway
2. Wash the bed sheets pillow covers and cloth of baby in hot boiling water: It will remove the dust , mites and allergic substance present in it.
3. Decoction: To a cup of milk + 20 tulsi leaves+ 1 spoon of turmeric + small piece of ginger + 4 black pepper + 2 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil. Filter it and drink daily thrice. It will reduce airway congestion and also Tulsi will boost immunity
4. Chyawanprash : 1 teaspoon twice a day will be beneficial to build up immunity
6. Himalaya Septilin syrup
It is better to avoid long term use of Ivpred as its long term oral intake will cause side effects of steroid like Glucose intolerance, gastritis, weight gain.
Inhalational steroid is comparatively safe.
Do Get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Dr T Shobha Deepak
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Likely, allergic bronchitis causes
- Recurrent allergic bronchitis causes
- Treatment and cure for recurrent allergic bronchitis
- Chronic allergic bronchitis causes
- What is allergic bronchitis in baby
- Treatment and cure for Allergic bronchitis
- Allergic bronchitis causes
- Asthmatic allergic bronchitis causes
- Treatment for allergic bronchitis
- Acute allergic bronchitis causes