• question-icon

What is the cause and treatment for trigger finger?

Posted on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have trigger finger. Usually in the morning only. This morning I could not straighten out my finger. It felt like the tendon was going to break. I had to soak it in hot water and massage it for 5 min before I could straighten it out. It is still sore 3 hours later. This has never happened before. It is the top joint on my middle finger. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If not relieved then you may need surgical release of pulley

Detailed Answer:
Hello

For trigger finger you may need clinical examination from orthopaedic doctor to know severity and stiffness.

Physiotherapy with ultrasound, wax bath and Tens will help you,
Exercises should be continued to avoid stiffness.
For early healing you can take Tab celin [vit C]
If not relieved then you may need surgical release of pulley to avoid triggering of finger.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon