What is the cause and treatment for stomach ache?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi.. Since last 3 4 days i get stomach ache and 3-4 times stool everyday. Had taken lomotil tablet on 1st day but still thers pain in the stomach. Is there any serious issue in this?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Abdominal pain and loose stools for last 3-4 days could be due to stomach bug. You could have acquired the infection through food or water.
A stool test may be done to confirm infection.
A course of antibiotics may be required to treat it. Probiotic supplements may hasten recovery. You can also take yogurt.
BRAT diet - Banana, Rice, Apple sauce and Toast may be taken.

For relief from pain you can take antispasmodics like cyclopam twice a day.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari