Owl Image

What is the cause and treatment for senile purpura?

Dermatologist
Question
I can send a picture if you want but what might cause a skin elision that comes and goes is red with a deeper red border and seems to be getting bigger. Not raised not painful. Usually it will fade as the day wears on but this time it is bigger and is not fading. On BP med and overweight don't know if that can be the underlying cause. It's my brother and has had this for a few years but it has definatly gotten bigger this time.
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral vitamin C, Topical heparin

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you for posting on HCM.
I can understand your concern regarding the skin condition.
From the review of your history and clinical photograph, it seems very likely that you have senile purpura.
Senile purpura is a condition where due to aging skin and blood capillaries are highly susceptible to microtrauma and thus the extravasated blood gets collected under your skin producing such reddish brown lesions.
Any site of the body can be involved but mostly seen over the areas where friction and microtrauma are more common.
As such there is nothing to worry as its very benign condition and ususally donot warrant any active intervention.
I would still like to investigate you to rule any platelet disorder and blood coagulation disorder.
As for the treatment I would recommend you to apply an ointment containing heparin thrice a day (THROMBOPHOB ointment).
Take oral vitamin C tablet on daily basis to strengthen your blood capillaries.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.
Thank you and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology