Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

129 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the cause and treatmemt for recurring bladder infections?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2448 Questions
I am a 33 year old female. Five days ago, I was seen by a doctor for severe groin pain and painful urination. They did a urinalysis and an external pelvic exam. I was told it was a bladder infection and was prescribed Cipro to take. I have been taking the antibiotics as prescribed, but my pain has returned and is now in the groin and pelvic area. What should I do?
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Bladder infections are not serious if treated right away. But they tend to come back in some people. This may lead to kidney infections, which are more serious and may result in permanent kidney damage.

So it's very important to treat the underlying causes of a bladder infection and to take preventive steps to keep them from coming back.

I would suggest you to undergo testing like Cystoscopy, CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and ultrasound scan of the entire urinary tract to make sure your kidneys are normal.

While being treated for a bladder infection, drink plenty of fluids which help to flush any bacteria out of the bladder.

As the symptoms are persisting, I would suggest you to consult an Urologist for the above mentioned investigations and for taking proper and adequate treatment.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist