Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the cause and treatmemt for recurring bladder infections?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I am a 33 year old female. Five days ago, I was seen by a doctor for severe groin pain and painful urination. They did a urinalysis and an external pelvic exam. I was told it was a bladder infection and was prescribed Cipro to take. I have been taking the antibiotics as prescribed, but my pain has returned and is now in the groin and pelvic area. What should I do?
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Bladder infections are not serious if treated right away. But they tend to come back in some people. This may lead to kidney infections, which are more serious and may result in permanent kidney damage.

So it's very important to treat the underlying causes of a bladder infection and to take preventive steps to keep them from coming back.

I would suggest you to undergo testing like Cystoscopy, CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and ultrasound scan of the entire urinary tract to make sure your kidneys are normal.

While being treated for a bladder infection, drink plenty of fluids which help to flush any bacteria out of the bladder.

As the symptoms are persisting, I would suggest you to consult an Urologist for the above mentioned investigations and for taking proper and adequate treatment.

Thank you.