What is the bright red bleeding mole on shoulder?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 35 year old healthy female with fair skin. Today I noticed a bright red mole (color of a cherry) on my right shoulder that was bleeding a little bit. I've never noticed it before. It almost looks like a pimple, but feels like a mole. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Just avoid touching the lesion, will heal soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached picture.
There are two possibilities that I can think of. Either it is a traumatic blood filled small blister or it is a cherry angioma.
If it developed just recently and was probably induced by some trauma like a minor scratch or by itching, then the probability of a traumatic blister is more.
But if it is a long standing lesion, then it could be a cherry angioma or a de XXXXXXX spot. Now this is basically a harmless skin lesion caused by proliferation of blood vessel. You can say that it is something like a mole only and is harmless.
Now in either case, all you need to do is to prevent any further trauma to the lesion. Avoid itching or scratching it and just let it settle by itself.
A traumatic blister tends to settle by itself in sometime while a cherry angioma just stays like this.
You can continue to apply neosporin over it if there is any bleeding since it will prevent any superinfection .

Dr Geetika Paul