What is the best medicine for Parkinson's Disease?

Posted on Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: what is the best medicine for Parkinsons
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 53 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The best medicine for Parkinson's disease (PD) is, of course, levodopa and carbidopa combination. Levodopa is converted to dopamine, and in PD, there is deficiency of dopamine in the brain. So, all patients with PD require levodopa for clinical improvement.
In early stages of PD, dopamine agonists such as pramipexole and ropinirole are best drugs.
Other useful drugs in PD include anticholinergics such as trihexiphenydyl, which are helpful in reducing tremors of PD.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any more information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist