What is thalium stress test ordered for?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Oct 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: went to cardiologist

ecko all OK
ekg all ok

took stress test...but after they want me to take a thallium stress test
should I be CONCERNED ???????????????????????????? will take it tuesday
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that the most important issue of your medical history is the fact that your resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound are normal. This means that cardiac muscle is preserved and no damage evidence is present.

Probably certain issues of your clinical symptomatology and the presence of any possible coronary risk factors (hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes, smoking, heredity for CAD) which raise suspicions of coronary artery disease, coupled with your already performed cardiac stress test may have influenced on your attending doctor decision on further clinical investigations in order to to rule in/out possible myocardial ischemia.

That is why your doctor has requested a thalium stress test, which would definitely clarify the issue of ischemic areas inside a heat muscle.

Coming to this point, I would like to let you know that everything seems OK, since all this diagnostic work up is programmed just in the right time to clarify and potentially prevent possible complications if those hypothetical coronary artery lesions really exist.

So, in other words, you shouldn't worry about this situation.

Just relax and wait for your the clinical test results.

I would be happy to directly review your cardiac test when they become available for a second professional opinion.

So, you can upload them here whenever you want.

Please let me know if you have any other uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri