What is lichen sclerosis?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: what do you know about Lichen Sclerosus? 7 months ago I had itching burning and was so inflamed I could hardly stand to Wipe myself. my whole vaginal area was red, swollen and itched so bad. my dr. I have been going to for 20 years said I Have Lichen Sclerosus and its there forever. he has done 5 biopsies and so far no cancer. I just would like maybe some info from another dr. that I don't have to go as a new patient. as I am getting tapped out on money I cant afford to keep paying for dr. appt.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A chronic skin condition , can be dealt with Doctor's help/ determination

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query under HCM forum.
Lichen Sclerosis is a chronic skin condition leading to disastrous itching symptoms- which try to disturb your routine & psychology too. I understand your concern.
* Lichen sclerosis is a skin disorder with unknown origin- with possibility of being instigated by-genetic/autoimmune/infective ( bacterial or viral )/Lyme disease/low levels of estrogen.
It is more common in small girls around 7 years/ women after 60 years./ less common in male
* Symptoms are mainly due to sever itching resulting in scarring& thinning of skin -that causes difficulty in sex, urination, deification
* psychological symptoms include- feeling of isolation, loss of self image/esteem, hopelessness,anxiety, anger.-
* Treatment consists of -
a) - Local steroids,( Clobesterol propionate),
-Topical\lhormonal preparations,
- Injection of platelet Rich Plasma,
- Stem cells
- Calcineurium inhibitors( Tacrolimus)
b)psychological counseling / self help in form of respiratory exercises, meditation & positive thinking.
* Course of the disease
- In few cases it resolves automatically,
- Response to modern treatment is considerable,
-some times local disfigurement due to fibrosis ,
- cancer of vulva is seen in many cases. To prevent it-
- Regular medical check ups / biopsies/early detection & treatment is the way to escape the dangerous sequel of the disease.
* I would advice you to regularly visit skin specialists/oncologist/ and psychotherapist (as per need )& keep your self away from the ill effects of the condition.
** In short, though a tough disease to deal with , patients positive efforts,determination,modern medication, stem cell treatment bring ray of hope--to get relieved.,
I hope I have given you sufficient information you requested for.& you find it useful.Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj