What is cupping. Is it good for you? What are

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: What is cupping. Is it good for you? What are bulging disks?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Age related degenerative change.

Detailed Answer:
Bulging disc is an age related change in the spine due to repeated stress to the spine. The bones gradually start cupping and the discs that act as cushion between the two vertebral bodies start to bulge out and gradually compress the nerves coming out of the spinal cord. The nerve compression causes the symptoms of tingling and numbness.
The treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms. Physiotherapy helps in preventing the further deterioration.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Thank you for your response. It is helpful. I do have tingling in my body.

I was referring to the procedure called cupping. Is it helpful to your back?

I got 2 injections of steroids/lidocaine which helped to relieve my back pain and stiffness. How long will in injection last? Is there a downside to getting these injections?
Thank you
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regular physiotherapy can help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Cupping is helpful in decreasing the pain due to the bulging discs but the moist helpful thing is a regular physiotherapy exercises. Steroid injections only help in reducing the inflammation and decrease the pain for 6-8 weeks. It does not prevent the further deterioration of the problem. Using L-S belt and regular physiotherapy can help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.