What is causing the feeling of full bladder after urination?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My 15 year old son started conditioning last week for the upcoming soccer season. He has to run at least 2 miles a day. During the run, he feels the strong need to urinate even though he did before the run. He has to be able to run the 2 miles in a certain amount of time to pass a test to make the team. After he stops running and walks for a while the sensation goes away. What could cause this?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I understand your problem and worry. It is nice that he is playing soccer at a good level.
Most probably, he might not have emptied his bladder fully, which can happen in anxious situations.
Double void can help. That is trying to pass urine second time immediately after passing the first time.
Also, if it is an early morning session, fluid restriction overnight and early morning should help.
Whenever time permits, an ultrasound scan to check for RESIDUAL URINE may be done to check if he retains anything in the bladder after passing urine. If so further steps can be taken by consulting a urologist.
Wishing him good health,
DR GS