What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er, metopro, lisinopril and ativan?

Posted on Thu, 2 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What happens if someone took 8000 mgs cardizem er 500 mgs metoprol succ er 400 mgs lisinopril and 60 mgs ativan what would be the process step by step would one feel pain or would it lead to an instant death this is for research
Answered by Dr. Prasad 35 hours later

I shall your questions in this way.

1. The pills you mentioned have various effects on the cardiovascular system - pulse, pumping capacity of the heart, blood pressure and on the brain - consciousness.

2. The doses specified are lethal - in the sense it can knock a person unconscious, stop the pumping action of heart, cause life threatening arrhythmia, lower blood pressure to dangerously lower levels causing all the organs to fail ultimately leading to death.

3. Whether or not a person would feel pain is not known as the person cannot recollect the events after resuscitation. However in all probabilities I would say that 60 mg of ativan is sufficient to put him/her in deep, deep sleep to hardly know the surrounding or the pain.

4. Cardiovascular effects as well as the neurological effects would overlap in this situation; therefore I cannot put across step by step occurrence of events. Theoretically first the person would lose consciousness, heart functions go disarray, all other organs start to fail, coma and then death.

5. Death would not be instantaneous as compared to other substances. However the result would be very soon unless medically intervened.

I hope this information is sufficient.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Hi do you think the person would just fall asleep and not wake up is that a possibility do you think this would always lead to death would there be much discomfort in your opinion please respond
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Mortality is evident if not intervened medically.

Hope I have answered all your questions.

Good luck!!
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 11 minutes later
Thanks but would it be fast and not painful would they just fall and stay asleep would that be possible you mentioned resusation what is that please let me know
Is there any way one could take these at bed time and just not wake up
Answered by Dr. Prasad 37 hours later

I apologize for the delay.

It is not instant. There would be a considerable period time before the events start.

In medical terms, resuscitation refers to a set of protocols followed in acute medical emergency; a set of actions done in an effort to stimulate and sustain respiratory and cardiac activity. The results of resuscitation depend on the type of emergency and the time taken to initiate this protocol. In case of drug toxicity such as the one you report, immediate attention and early resuscitation can prevent death.

Without medical attention / resuscitation process, the chances of mortality would be high with multiple drug toxicity.

Hope it is clear now.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Ok so there is no way one could take these medicines and just pass away peacefully
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
If you referred to what a person would feel, then the individual would be knocked off. He/she may not be able to recollect any of the events. However internally, doctors would notice heart disarray and subsequent organ failure - not a preferred means of death to me.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
What would happen if medical attention was not sought would they die instantly
Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 hours later
I think I have answered this question earlier.

Without medical intervention the chances of fatality are high. However the events leading to fatality are gradual and not instant.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Dr. Prasad