What elevated white blood cell levels indicate an infection?
Normal range is between 4-11
Based on the history you have shared, it seems not of worry some as mild fluctuations may occur however the usual range is around 4-11 thousand.
The common cause of derangements is due to infections or any abnormal production from the bone marrow.
Though such minor fluctuations may be a normal variant as well. Kindly monitor your blood counts by repeating after two weeks and for any signs of fever or infection.
At this moment no medical management is indicated. A urinalysis may be done to rule out any underlying urinary tract infection though.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Monitoring means to repeat it after two weeks to monitor the trend
Yes, it doesn't mean necessarily to be raised due to infection.
However, until source, if the infection isn't known or any other test like blood cultures etc doesn't indicate infection it doesn't need to be treated with antibiotics etc.
Kindly get it repeated after a week or two to see the trend as it is most likely to normalise at it's own due to bodies own defense however it if stays high it may need other tests to look for the cause.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Infection white blood cells
- Low white blood cell levels
- Elevated white blood cell count
- What could an elevated white blood cell indicate
- Low white blood cell infection
- Viral infection white blood cells
- What does elevated white blood cell count indicate
- Low oxygen level elevated white blood cell count symptoms
- What treatment is suggested for elevated white blood cells
- What does elevated white blood cells mean