question-icon

What does weird sensation on left side of the face suggest?

Posted on Thu, 21 Jul 2016
Question: hi from past few months I have been feeling a slight sensation on my left side of the face initially it was near the ear, i had as if some air trapped in the ear used to feel my heart beat in the ear at times, and these days its near my chin and left cheek mostly lower side of the face. could you please advice
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
carotid pulsation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,
The patients who complain of such symptoms are usually diagnosed to have some carotid artery problem or Eight nerve damage or parotid gland infection.kindly consult any cardiologist who may help you rule out the actual cause and treat it.
Hope you are convinced,
If any further query please do get back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng (18 hours later)
Could it be spondylitis as I am feeling a strained neck as well. My work these days is mostly on the PC and the upper side of my neck and the ear bone at the back is a little strained too.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Investigation required to confirm the diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
It could be spondylitis also, but the diagnosis cannot be made accurately till you get physically examined or investigated.
Spondylitis may present with ringing sensation in ear but not with the pulsatile sensation near chin and cheek. If you still strong believe it's the spondylitis causing these symptoms then better visit your local doctor to get physically evaluated. The following investigations may help you to rule out the condition
1) X-RAY spine to rule out spondylitis
2) MRI SCAN of the head and neck
3) 2 D echo to rule out carotid artery problem
You can upload the reports here as well to get my opinion.
Get back to me for further doubts.
Dr. Nagamani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Nagamani Ng