What does tight loop of cord round neck of fetus during pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Dattaprasad

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am 38 weeks pregnant and due for delivery. Baby's weight in today's sonography shows 3 kg. Further the doppler study is normal, and heart rate is 133/min.

However, with todays USG, below two adverse comments been received.

1. There is TIGHT LOOP OF UMBILICAL CORD AT NAPE OF NECK REGION
2. There is MILD OLIGOHYDRAMNIOS. AMNIOTIC FLUID MEASURES 8.2 MM

I know, that now, C-Section is the way out, and I dont mind doing that. However, am scared on the umbilical cord part, especially, as there is a tight loop of cord. Can you please help me to guide further to this. Anyways, I have an appointment at 6 today for the same, however, am tensed for the implications of the same. Also, would having tight loop affects fetus brain development or life threatening??

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing significant.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Tight loop of cord round neck can't be diagnosed with 100% certainty even with doppler. Doppler can just indicate position of cord near neck. Even if such a loop is present there, its very unlikely to harm your baby (chance of strangulation of baby due to such a loop is very low, might be one in a lac or so). Also it doesn't have any effect on brain development. You need not worry for that.
Amniotic fluid you mentioned as 8.2 mm. Its not clear to me. Whether amniotic fluid index(AFI) 8.2 cm OR single pocket of 8.2 mm? Kindly clarify.
Mild oligohydramnios (AFI -8.2cm) with such a good baby weight at 38 weeks should not be a problem.
In any case, as you have completed 37 weeks & as baby's estimated weight is good (unless you are diabetic) caesarian delivery can be planned sooner than later, and there should not be harm for baby at all.
Hope this helps you.
Kindly get back if you have any other concerns.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju