• question-icon

What does this thyroid report post radioablation indicate?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My scan was done Friday. After the scan I start Synthroid 125mg daily and returned to a reg diet. Because I lost a few lbs I decided to try to put on weight. It is as if the weight came on in a few days. I am up 10lbs already. instantly!
The great news is the nurse said I am cancer free! She said I have some activity where the gland was. I asked what does that mean? She said she didn't know, but this is what she was to report to me.
What does this mean? Also why does face look as if I was on a steriod?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
swelling of face due to thyroid hormone deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for follow up.

Prior to the radioablation you were not given thyroid supplements, to increase the sensitivity of the cells. This rendered you thyroid hormone deficient. This caused facial puffiness and weight gain. Now that synthyroid has been started, these things should normalize.

The vague uptake in the thyroid gland area can be due to some remnant thyroid tissue which got inflamed due to radioiodine. Unlikely to be cancer as per your nurse's assessment but need to look at the report provided by nuclear medicine doctor.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Thank you very much. I want to keep discussion open. I am sure to have more questions. Does a person's stretched skin return to the prior elasticity or do they look aged and tired?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes stretched skin may return to normal

Detailed Answer:
After thyroid hormone replacement, skin may regain its prior elasticity
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist