• question-icon

What does this sonography report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Dr,
I have a 11.3 mm stone in the ureter tube
sonography attached. I want to escape surgery
I also feel I am not the right candidate for
shock-wave therapy since I have undergone bariatic and gall bladder surgery couple of months ago... Please help
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopic Surgery(URS) with fragmentation of stone is the best option .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your ultrasound scanning of the abdomen has revealed impacted stone of a size of 11 mm in Lt Ureter at the level of UV junction with significant edema at the site of impaction .
Though as on today you do not obstructive uropathy as determined by absence of Hydronephrosis on Lt side there are chances of increasing edema at the site of obstruction there by increasing chances of damage to the kidney in future.. Hence it is advisable to treat this stone at earliest .

There are only two option for treating such stone .
1) ESWL - Looking at the edema at the site of impaction the fragments created after ESWL will not pass down in bladder smoothly.There is technical difficulty in fragmenting stone at UV junction due to bony structures like Sacrum and Ischial spine posing difficulties in localizing and focusing the energy on the stone .

2) The best and standard accepted procedure is an endoscopic surgery of Uretero Renoscopy (URS) and fragmenting the stone and clear off the obstruction .

This is a simple procedure with no morbidity and gives very good results .There is nothing to be feared of about the surgery .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist