What does this semen analysis report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Men's Health
Question: I had a vasectomy about 12 weeks ago and my first semen test had results that I am not sure about, they read "SPERMATOZOA, POST VASECTOMY, PRESENT was highlighted in red and "none seen" below that in grey, it then read "Rare sperm observed (<1/HPF) from a centrifuged specimen. " At the top of my results, it also mentioned "out of range", can someone help me understand these results?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Semen analysis report that you have been issued is incomplete.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Based on the fact and report of semen that you have posted you have undergone Vasectomy 12 weeks back and the report of your semen analysis revealed presence of sperms in semen <1 /HP field .

Normally it takes 3-4 months for complete absence of sperms in semen (Azospermia)after vasectomy and there is possibility of few sperms being detected in microscopic examination .However these are the sperms left over in distal part of Vas Difference or Ampula of water .More over it is motility of the sperms that is important from the point of view of fertility which is not mentioned in your report .

Presence of <1 sperm in a centrifugal sample suggest that it near 0 (Absence of sperm),and is of no significance

I would suggest you to repeat the semen analysis after 6 weeks .Till then to be on safer side practice other method of contraception

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.