What does this personality and aptitude test result indicate?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: Dear Doctor,
I wish to bring to your kind attention the concern I have about my son.
On the positive side, he has a fairly good IQ and no known physical defect.
He is able to do very well in quiz competitions, having got second in a state-wise quiz competition.
But he has many deficiencies which are a big concern.
a.     In school, his performance is abyssimal. When he was young about 6 years old he would show signs of brilliance but throw tremendous tantrums. He would also run out of the house. On counselling, he was diagnosed with attention deficit. A psychologist suggested that he take some tablets. My son indicated that the website indicates that the tablets will lead to suicidal tendencies and he if feeling so more and hence he will not take the tablets. And he would say he would jump out of the vehicle if we took him for the treatment. Hence the medicines and treatment stopped.
b.      Now he is moving towards undergrad. His tantrums have reduced to some extent. He does not run out of the house. But he displays extreme laziness. Even during the final examination, he does not show any intention to get up and study.
His teachers suggested that he is very intelligent and possibly the local board rote curriculum was not good enough to excite him and bring out his better performance and hence to put him in a more dynamic curriculum like IGCSE – XXXXXXX board. It is way beyond our financial means but he is my son and hence I put him in the board. But there again he does not drive himself to work hard.
Moreover he abhors discipline. His teachers say he is very much of argumentative type giving brusque answers.
With his inborn intelligence, he can easily get within the top 10 percentile. When he changed school, he said all teachers and students feel he is intelligent and a nerd and does not want to branded thus. Hence he said he went around with the lowest 10 percentile students in class and started flunking.
c.     I and my wife have repeatedly informed him that we had also failed in our examinations etc. and hence not to be worried about failure but work extremely well and hard and proceed towards success. He understands but fails to implement improvement.
He becomes angry very easily as well, breaking things to shut us, though in a few minutes he calms down and apologises.

I give a few particulars gleaned about him by a career councellor recently.

Favourite subjects     - History, English, Computing
Least favourite subjects      - Maths, art. (On his request, we took him out of Maths and allowed him to take biology instead)
Hobbies      - Playing video games
Further schooling or training planned      - Nothing planned as they may not be remunerative
Strongest abilities      - Write well, speak well, scientific
Work you would like to do      - Work related to history or computing
If you had any jobs, what were they      - No, I have not
Among the people you know, whose career or job you would like to have and why      - None really

Best work values to be ticked. Many options were given and the ticked items were     •     Having time to relax, Being happy with what i do, Having the ability to change peoples lives, Not being bored, Making lot of money, Being able to see the results of what i do, Having opportunities for adventure and experience, Being successful, Being respected by others, Being able to use my mental abilities

On the values you checked, which are the most important?     •     Making lot of money, Being respected by others

On the values you checked, which are the least important?     •     Having time to relax

Do you know any jobs or careers that might involve the work values you feel are most important to you? What are these jobs or careers?     None

PERSONALITY TEST RESULT     
Test     Score     Category
Achievement      - 30     Average
Deference     <10     Very low
Order     <10     Very low
Exhibition     90+     Very high
Autonomy     84+     High
Affiliation     30     Average
Intraception     40     Average
Succorance     80     High
Dominance     85     High
Abasement      <10     Very low
Nurturance     60     Average
Change     55     Average
Endurance     <10     Very low
Heterosexuality     90     Very high
Aggression     90     Very high
Consistency     30     Average

APTITUDE TEST RESULT     
Test     Score     Category
Verbal reasoning     77     Above average
Numerical reasoning     40     Middle average
Abstract reasoning     89     Superior
Space relations     28     Lower average
Mechanical reasoning     12     Below average
Scholastic aptitude     61     Upper average

OCCUPATIONAL GROUPS     
Test     Score     Category
Social science     40     High
Clerical service     16     Low
Health service     11     Very low
Agriculture     12     Very low
Customer service     15     Low
Fine arts     20     Low
Mathematics and science     20     Low
Building Trades     14     Very low
Educational service     13     Very low
Legal service     24     Low
Transportation     15     Low
Sales     15     Low
Management     14     Very low
Benchmark     11     Very low
Machine operation     11     Very low

SUBJECT AREAS LIKED          
Automotive repair
Photography
Newspaper writing

I wish help in the following:
a.     How to improve this situation.
b.     Peer parents and children who from such situation have improved and succeeded. We stay in Navi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Contact number 0000.
c.     What would be the future of the child in such situations generally with us giving the best support.
d.     What changes we as parents are expected to make to make the child successful and also to brace for the situation.

Thanks Doctor,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Non-stimulant medication and BT

Detailed Answer:

I appreciate the effort you have taken in explaining your son's psychological status. I need not ask anything now, I shall directly come down to conclusion.

The behavioral counselling notes do contribute to the diagnosis of hyperactive/impulsive type ADHD.

ADHD in teens is difficult to overcome when not being placed on medications as a child. Its way more difficult to treat only with Behavioral therapy (BT) with average level of consistency in personality.

I would consider it obvious and essential for him to be placed on medications along with BT. Children needing medications in the early life will surely need them in the teen and further stages of their life. It would be wise to choose non stimulant drugs for the treatment like Atomoxetine or Guanfacine which have least possible or almost nil side effects if a stimulant drug.

You may have to convince him for the medications, let him research on the medications. He shall consider them better once if he studies about them. Do educate the importance of medication for his future and bring up the issue while you succour him.

You can be best managed only with well planned combination of organizational changes, behavioral therapy and medication.

Some tips :

--Positive reinforcement -- to promote preferred behaviors and reward positive behavior.
--Help him with with scheduling and organization.
--Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids may help
--Set a daily tight schedule with works of his interest to reduce distractions.
--Do not use punishments
--Establish consistent routines. Children with ADHD are more likely to succeed in completing tasks when they occur in a predictable pattern.

Do register yourself in http://www.healthfulchat.org/adhd-chat-room.html. It could be very helpful by getting insights of parents like you.

Need not worry, future will surely be good. The maturity in conscience will surely lead them to choose the subject that matters most and flourish in the same.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.