What does this fetus measurements at 32 weeks of pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: At 32 weeks 5 days, BPD was normal (81), as was AC (306.9) and FL (64). However, OFD (98.2) and HC (284.2) were quite low. This has been a consistent pattern over at least the last two months (OFD and HC measuring very low). His weight seems very good at 2127 grams and amniotic fluid is normal at 11.59. My questions are:
1) Is this a cause for concern? If so, what could it be indicative of?
2) The HC/AC ratio (1.01) seems good, as does the FL/BPD ratio (79). If the HC and BPD are thus proportionate to the rest of the baby's body, is that more important than the individual measurements at this stage of the pregnancy?
Not that is would make a difference, but it was 32 weeks 4 days (not 5 days)
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
reports are normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
After going through the measurements I would suggest you that there is nothing worry and moreover at this stage it doesn't have any implication either.
So just get a repeat scan at 36 weeks and if the growth is normal and the difference in measurements is in range then it is even more reassuring.
In case you have other questions related to this I will be happy to help.

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 6 minutes later
Thanks, but I would like to know what it means for the BPD to be normal, while the OFD is very small. Is that simply indicative of a more elliptical head? (The CI - if I'm calculating it correctly - seems to still be within the normal range)

Further, according to some of the online calculators, the HC is at 1.9%. That seems frightfully low! I know that you note that there is nothing to worry about, but if an hc of 1.9% isn't something to worry about, how low does it have to be before it *is* something to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry still

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. Its really commendable that you are so much informed and inquisitive about the reports and believe me it is really pleasant to answer such patients.
I want to explain it in minutely detailed manner so as to give you exact information.
The rational behind calculating so many diverse parameters is to evaluate the fetus as a whole and also each of these are used to derive inference that can be applied to know if there is growth deficit in any horizon so that nothing is missed.
But at the same time single parameter is not sufficient to label the baby growth deficient specially if others are normal.
In general crown rump length is best in parameter to study fetal growth in first trimester.
HC/AC in second trimester;and FL and baby weight in third trimester.
In third trimester if baby weight is within normal limits and liquor quantity is within range then single parameter if below normal then there is no need of active intervention.
Moreover HC/AC ratio is normal so in my opinion it is not a worrisome issue.
I hope I have answered your questions.
All the best.