What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I recently got some blood work done because my sodium levels were low. I was NOT fasting when the new test was taken. The new re-test revealed the following results. Is there anything to be concerned about with the following results:

1. Glucose: 129 [high]... range 65-99
2. Sodium: 141.. range 135-146
3. Anion Gap: 14.0 [high].. range 1.0-13.0
4. Globulin: 2.1 [low]...range 2.2-3.9
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. All tests arenormal

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I havs gone through the details and you need not to worry. Since you were not fasting, so your blood sugar is likely in the random range and thus normal. Similarly, you have borderline variation of anion gap and globulin which is also normal phenomenon. Nothing to worry.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 8 hours later
Thank you doctor. If you don't mind me asking:
1. what exactly is anion gap & globulin?
2. What (parameters) do these indices measure?
3. What can cause them to be high or low?

Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. Your reports are ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
So anion gap is the difference between measurable positive electrolytes like sodium potassium and negative electrolytes like chloride in the body. It is deranged in condition called as acidosis. However, mild variation can be due to lab error, if the patient is dehydrated or has diarrhea etc. Mild variation has no significance.
Globulin are protein produced by immune system of the body and help us to fight infection. Low levels can be seen in poor nutrition, intestinal diseases or kidney disorders. Again a mild variation is acceptable and should not cause any worry.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana