• question-icon

What causes chronic vomiting and heart palpitations after gastric stapling surgery?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi there...I had stomach stapling 25 years ago. Since then I throw up at least 5 times a week . I am now having heart issus... racing...jumping...extremely hard beating .... could all the years of not being able to keep things down have effected my heart
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic vomiting affects heart function

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and I am sorry about your condition. Chronic vomiting leads to dehydration and electrolyte depletion. Low blood volume and low levels of potassium, chloride and acidosis, caused by vomiting will eventually lead to impaired heart function such as hypotension, blood pressure changes and rhythm changes.
So yes, you are right is suspecting that the years of vomiting may have taken a toll on your heart function.
Good hydration with mineral water, healthy food rich in nutrients and small and frequent meals are the sensible thing to do. However, I recommend you see a cardiologist in order to get a further investigation and treatment in order to prevent any further damage and reduce the risk to your heart.

I hope this helps. You are welcome to ask any further questions you might have.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi