What does this X-ray report indicate?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: hi doctor emergency please...

my son of 3 years age swallowed 1 rupee coin. we took him to hospital and took an x-ray. the coin is visible in left side addomen ...below the ribs...

Doctor is suggesting nothing to fear it will come as part of motion. any syrups which can initiate motion.. any help in this regard is helpful.

Attached is the x-ray
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will pass on its own.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen many cases of swallowed coins. They come out spontaneously.
I saw the x-ray film.It looks like it is in the intestine. Peristalsis, i.e,movement of the bowel will push the contents distally. In that process, coin also comes out.
Sometimes, I prescribe Lactulose solution 10ml at bed time for soft stool and easy bowel movement.
Nothing to worry.
If there is distension of abdomen, followed by vomiting then you should consult your doctor immediately.
I have seen a case of metal piece of 2 inches length that has come out spontaneously.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish him good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 10 minutes later
what do you mean by distention of abdomen?..can you please elaborate?
Brief Answer:
Abdominal distension means enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is enlargement of abdominal girth.If your son is not passing stool and his abdomen is enlarging, you should contact the Paediatrician immediately.
If abdomen is flat,nothing to worry.
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 41 hours later
hi..he went to motion and the coin did not come. we took again an x-ray to identify the position... attached is the same ...can you check if there is any change in the coin position compared to the previous x-ray... the previous x-ray was taken when the child is lying down and the new one is taken while the child is standing
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Latest xray shows that the coin is in small intestine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the x rays in detail.
I compared them.There is no much difference. per the latest xray, the coin is in the small intestine. It may take 3 days to 1 week to come out.
There is no need to worry as long as there is no obstruction.
Please take next xray in erect posture.
If the position is changed,you can wait.
Nothing to worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 15 hours later
Thanks a lot.. one more thing if the coin soaks for one week in water will it get rust or algae..?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
The coin will not get rust.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Coin doesn't get rust or algae even of it is present for 1 week in the gut.
Nothing to worry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D