• question-icon

What does this VDRL test report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: VDRL test is reactive and TPHA is positive 1:80.Please tell as to what this means.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It means you are infected with syphilis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

The presence of reactive test for VDRL and 1:80 reaction for TPHA is indicative that you are infected with syphilis.

This also means that there is need for treatment for you as well as your partner.

I hope this answers your question.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 45 hours later
But my husband tested vdrl negative? How is this possible?

Can I Please expect a reply to my above question,doctor.I am anxious to know about our problem which may affect our family life in future.So kindly advise us.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please redo VDRL and TPHA together

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

It is possible that your husband was tested falsely negative and I think you both should undergo both tests together. Also request the testing laboratory to give the titre details for both tests so we have clear picture before starting treatment.

I hope this assists you.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 48 minutes later
I discussed this with my husband now and he informed me that he did tpha,vdrl and hiv test in XXXXXXX 2016 as a part of medical test when he got a job in gulf.The same 3 tests were again repeated when he reached gulf.On both these occasions he tested negative .He again tested vdrl on my insistence yesterday and once again he tested negative.What is your further advise on This,doctor?.
I have never had sex with anybody other than my husband.My husband had oral sex with a female more than a year back.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat testing is my first recommendation at this moment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

As is is very rare to get both tests either false positive (in your case) or false negative (your husband case) I feel testing further from the same laboratory should be done.

It is not uncommon to get substandard results from low standard laboratory and it is important to get repeat testing from some standard laboratory of your city.

Having oral sex with any other women one year back is slightly less important as the test is positive for you and not for your partner.

I hope this assists you further.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist