What does this MRI scan indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I HAVE TAKEN A MRI SCAN, THE REPORT SAYS
1 EXAGGERATED CERVICO DORSA KYPHOSIS WITH MILD SCOIOSIS OF CERVICA SPINE WITH CONVEXITY TO RIGHT SIDE NOTED.
2 DISC DEHYDRATION CHANGES SEEN AT MULTIPLE LEVELS
3MINIMAL DISC BUDGE SEEN AT C4-C5 AND C5-C6 LEVELS INDENTING THE THECA SAC.
4 NO OBVIOUS ABNORMALITY IN SPINE CORD
5 DISC BULGE SEENAT L4-L5 and L5-SI LEVELS INDENTING VENTRA THECAL SAC.
KINDLY TELL THE DETAILS ABOUT THE REPORT
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Degenetaive changes in the intervertebral discs.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The interpretation of the MRI is as follows:
There is deformity of the cervical spine.
The cervical spine is curved dorsally and laterally which is an abnormal finding.
This abnormal curvature can cause compression of nerve and hence symptoms.
The inter vertebral disc shows bulging at different levels- at the cervical level C4-C5, C5-C6,L4-L5 and L5-S1.

Disc bulge can further deteriorate and lead to disc prolapse.
The disc bulge can be corrected by rest.
If pain is also present, analgesics can be taken.
Dehydration of the disc is a degenerative change which further leads to disc bulge and prolapse.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedician for further management.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T