• question-icon

What does this MRI report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: MRI report says: Abnormal signal activity area identified in the brachium pontis with faint diffusion restriction, possible subacute infract versus focal area demyelination. Possibility of a neoplastic process is to be rather less likely, one cannot be completely ruled out.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern although you do not seem to make a specific question.

The report gives to main hypothesis. One is that of stroke, an occlusion of a blood vessel with as a result damage to the brain area it supplies with blood. It says subacute, meaning that it has occurred some days ago but inside the last month.

The second possibility is that of demyelination, meaning damage of the nerve fibers due to loss of their sheath composed of a substance called myelin. Demyelination disorders are many, the most common one by far is multiple sclerosis.

The possibility of a tumor (neoplastic process) is considered as unlikely.

Now I do not know other specifics of your case but given your age I would say multiple sclerosis is unlikely, a stroke would be more probable among those listed hypothesis.

I believe September is too long a time to wait. If it is indeed a stroke tests to search for its cause in order for preventive treatment to be given, to prevent future strokes. Stroke is a medical emergency, while in your case some days have passed so perhaps not as urgent, still a two month wait is far too long. So I would speak to your primary physician about getting an earlier evaluation.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist