What does this MRI report indicate?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I injured my ACL a few months back. the injury has healed but I'm not able to play. I have no trouble in normal everyday chores.
Due to this, I went for an MRI and am attaching the report. kindly advise what should be done going forward so that the condition of my knee improves?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

It's good news that your ACL isn't torn but only injured mildly according to the report.

But if you feel instability while running or climbing downstairs then you need to perform physiotherapy to increase the strength of your Quadriceps muscle.

After 3 months you can get assessed of your symptoms and accordingly decide treatment.

As of now, you don't require surgery. Physiotherapy will help you.

If you have instability symptoms or want to get back to Sports, then after 3 months of physiotherapy you cash get operated to reconstruct ACL ligament by Arthroscopic key hole surgery.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 minutes later
what exactly does minimal Peri patellar collection mean?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild blood collection in the knee due to the trauma

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Due to the trauma, a bit of blood gets collected in the knee joint around the patella or knee cap bone. Peri-patellar means around the patella.

This blood gets absorbed and knee joint becomes normal in 4-6 weeks after the injury provided you give the knee rest.

Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
I had this injury almost 6 months back. So it still being there a concern?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
First do physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
You can perform physiotherapy and reassess if any instability.

If no instability then nothing to worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D