What does this CT scan in a smoker indicate?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, my father having history of smoking and has undergone CT scan today to find if there is any lung issues. And here are the highlights from scan.. My doctor is not telling anything openly and asked me to meet pulmonologist.. Here are the highlights from CT scan..

1.Few enlarged pretracheal and subaortic nodes noted, measuring 11 mm
2.Diffuse centrilobular emphysematous changes seen in both lungs, severe in bilateral upper lobes
3.Fibrotic band in inferior lingular segment

It would be great if you could tell me the truth what is going on.. Thanks a lot.. Please help me.. I am from XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
He is mostly having COPD.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the CT scan report you have mentioned.
This CT scan report is more suggestive of COPD (chronic obstructive Pulmonary disease).
It is chronic, progressive lung disease commonly seen in smokers.
Patient usually has symptoms of cough, expectoration, breathlessness on exertion, weakness, weight loss etc.
No need to worry for lung mass (cancer).
Better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose COPD but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
He will need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
So consult pulmonologist and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D