What does this 20 weeks pregnancy scan result indicate?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I went for 20 weeks scan and found out my babys both kidneys are only 5 percentile in growth. I went for amniocentesis got premlinary result to be negative. Is there a chance my babys kidney will grow.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Yes, there is a chance that kidneys will grow and you should hope that it will since it is not uncommon that kidney are smaller in size but it may have adequate function. also, if only one kidneys show adequate grow,it is enough for normal function. You should repeat ultrasound in 1 week and check amnion fluid volume. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon