Owl Image

What does thickening of adrenal gland mean?

Question
What is adrenal gland thickening
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Minor adrenal nodularity or thickening is most problematic when seen in a patient with a known primary malignancy, because of the concern that such abnormalities are an early sign of metastases. This concern is particularly acute in patients with primary lung cancer, where the frequency of metastases to the adrenal glands is very high.

If there is no primary in lung cancer,breast cancer or skin cancer and there are no associated symptoms like weight gain or weight loss,racing heart or sweating or severe headaches,then a minor thickening is ignored and always a repeat scan is advised after 4 to 6 months for further evaluation.

Discuss with your doctor about the cause for nodules in left side upper abdomen to rule out lymphoma as lymphoma can also spread to adrenal gland.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me or any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks