question-icon

What does the following ultrasound report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: My ultrasound shows that the "gallbladder lumen is completely occupied by multiple calculi measuring up to 12mm". Does this mean that my entire gallbladder is filled with gallstones?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Multiple gall stones may occupy the entire gall bladder

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma am, Hi

Thanks for posting your HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the multiple gallstones.

As per the ultrasound report there are multiple gall stones which have occupied the entire lumen of gall bladder.

Gall bladder stores bile produced by the liver.
In response to signals, the gallbladder squeezes stored bile into the small intestine through a bile duct. Bile helps digest dietary fats.
You do not have associated symptoms like right upper abdominal pain which gets aggravated while taking fatty meals, yellowish discoloration of the skin, itching or altered colored of stool. In absence of the above symptoms it appears that entire gall bladder is filled with the stones and apparently there is no obstruction of the bile duct and hence there is a flow of bile into the intestine.

Hope the explanation given above has cleared your doubts regarding the gall stones occupying the gall bladder.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali