• question-icon

What does the following MRI report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Good Morning, My name is XXXX, and recently i applied for a DSP, and centrelink has rejected it on the grounds that i did'nt give them enough information, however, the last MRI i had was at the end of April and the results were as follows: Impression: 1.Multilevel degenerative signal changes involving the lumbar spine as described. 2.Multilevel degenerative changes of the lumbar intervertebral discs with multilevel degenerative canal stenosis as described. Kindly refer to the body of the report for changes at each level. 3.Broard based posterocentral disc osteophyte complex protrusion at L5-S1 indents the thecal sac and left nerve root. I have two other CT scans that were taken a couple of years apart as well. Now, the amazing thing here is, a person, who centrelink calls an Approved Review Officer, rejected this, while having absolutely NO medical background, what so ever, which means he/she is only a clerk who is reading a criteria, and then making a decision about my pain and well being and my health. I would really like to know if my back has a serious problem as i have been told, or is the clerk right, he says i'll be fine. Your oppinion on this would be greatly appreciated. I need to know how a clerk can overide a Doctors medical decision, and how many other people are out there suffering like me because of it. I look forward to your earliest reply, and thank you for your time on this matter. Yours Sincerely, XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
AGE Related degenerative disease of spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having degenerative changes in spine alongwith stenosis ie narrowing of spinal canal. These are age related degenerative changes. These may lead to symptoms like chronic backache or stiffness etc. You are rejected as it is advisable to avoid any excessive stress.
This condition needs treatment only if symptomatic otherwise only calcium supplements are prescibed.
You should get yourself examined by an orthopaedician.
Start taking calcium supplements.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist